New Flagstone Path
One of our summer projects was to build a flagstone path leading to the side and back yard. It turned into a time suck lasting the whole summer. This path is part of a long-term landscaping project but its complete so I’m going to show it even if it doesn’t quite makes sense.
The plan was to create a new flagstone path that was like the path leading to our front door only this one would be wider.
The main reason for building this path is because we kinda got one going through the grass anyway. We take the path of least resistance from the garage to the back and side yard so the grass was taking a beating. We would walk this area, plus we are moving things like trailers, jet skis, boats. wheel barrows, etc. So making a wide path to accommodate these things made a lot of sense, at least to me.
With the sons muscle we were able to complete the path. It was hard work and lifting those stones were a feat. Thank god he was here to do this work otherwise this project would not have happened. And because we had to wait for him and the weather (July was a right off) a project that should take a few weeks tops turned into the whole summer.
Another reason the path was a long project was the flagstones that we used. The stones were originally from the wall lining our driveway. A few years ago we took this wall down (another long-term project for another day) and used these stones to make a fire pit, flower beds, back path, well wrap and a new wall running along a path to the dock.
So when I got the bright idea of making a new flagstone path nobody was impressed. After all we had just moved all these heavy rocks and now I wanted to not only move them again I wanted to get rid of the projects we spent much time doing. Todd was not on board at all. lol. So it was up to the son and I. The son torn up the wall, removed the flower beds and got rid of the fire pit. You can kinda see why Todd wasn’t on board. But I have a plan!
One of the biggest concerns was would we have enough stones to complete the project. I did a look and made a calculation and was pretty sure we had enough. But boy were we close. About three-quarters in I was starting to get nervous but we did and not much to spare like maybe five stones.
One of the biggest problems we had with making this path and another reason it took so long was the size and shapes of the stones we had to use. The flagstone path we have to our front door was built with big stones that were only about two inches thick, some were less. Our stones for our new path were quite large. Some were eight, nine and ten inches! To get these stones to work we had to prepare our site a bit different from the path to the door and even different from the path we made a few years ago that goes to the water.
First we marked the area where we wanted the path to go. From the driveway to the beginning of the house and tying in to the flagstone that runs across the front to the house. See how technical we were. ha
Next we removed all the sod and brought in topsoil. Lots of topsoil. Fortunately for us the area we were putting the path was a lot lower than the path running across the house. This made it easier to add in the thick rocks. So by putting in all the topsoil it made it easier for us to play around with the placement of the stones.
We added the thickest rocks in the deepest sections. Then using topsoil to fill in the gaps. Levelling was done using topsoil and rocks. This was time consuming as the rocks were various sizes and some never had level bottoms. I can’t say for certain the amount of time we spent levelling but I do know there were a lot of choice words said by the son and I. Some stones took twenty minutes to almost an hour to get right others were faster.
Once we got the biggest rocks in place we went back and added smaller rocks to fill gaps. In between the stones we are using two types of ground cover. A dark green and a bright green. I did plant some this august and it seems to be taking but its only a small section. We are going to try to grow some in the spring as the area is quite large and buying enough to place here would be quite expensive. We will see how that works. I bought an eight container of thyme earlier the summer for the deck area out back and it was twenty-five dollars, I would need at least thirty containers to finish this project. So we are going to try to grow some first.
Here’s where the flagstone path today. Ignore the patch of dirt there is stone underneath.
The path is six feet at the thinnest area and almost ten feet at the end of the path (the area close to the house). This wide area will make sense once we get to phase two of the project which I’m hoping will happen next summer. That phase will have this new flagstone path meet with the flagstone path that runs from the deck to the dock. I just can’t wait. The vision in my head believes this will be awesome. Todd vision is “omg more work”. He’s such a dream crusher!